Friday, July 27, 2007

Got a Single?

Taking the baby Scoots on his evening walk in the woods to clear it of all rabbits, squirrels, and other animals he would love to eat I passed by a new neighbor, just moving in. Cordial and slender she introduced herself and instead of acting normally, I acted as myself through force of habit. "Hello, what's the name of your cat?" I responded without thinking. Uh, how do you know I have a cat? Aloud I stated that I thought I saw one in the window but really it's an unspoken rule that all single gals have a cat and I have yet to encounter one that didn't.

I hoped she would be somehow aware of my misdirection and retort something to the effect of "I've been single for a long time, I've got 3 of 'em now." Sadly, life does not operate so wittily as the screenplay in my ever-so-slightly-convoluted imagination. Later I brought over cookies to welcome her in more appropriate manner and since they were chocolate chip cookies I'm not sure she realized the extent of the gift; sacrifice. Knowing full well the other cretins on the street wouldn't introduce themselves OR make eye contact it seemed proper to welcome her.

No matter who I meet, no matter where, I view all people as potential friends. Consequently it's not too infrequently that I overlook some more flagrant personality flaws being myopically focused on 'the good stuff.' At any rate, it's always fun to mingle with a single and see wahappens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How domestic DL, you cookie monster! But I doubt your screenplay was as innocuous as you claim. I believe yours would have the "Bowe chicka wow wow" playing in the backround and her having trouble with the maid outfit.